Saturday, September 20, 2008

Pomme Frites

Yesterday my girlfriend and I went to the Mockingbird Bistro for our 1 year anniversary. I looked at the menu before hand to get an idea of what was available. I had to ask my brother (a future chef and a current culinary expert) how to pronounce "pomme frites" which are just french fries. So for dinner I had steak tartare (a raw beef patty on top of which you pour a raw quail egg. The tartare was mixed with slices of garlic and was all meant to be eaten on top of some sourdough toasts which were smeared with basil pesto...delicious! My main course, the prime steak frites was served with wild mushrooms, and watercress. It was awesome. My steak also came with the aforementioned "pomme frites." These french fries were the best I've ever eaten and I'm not being hyperbolic. They were cooked in truffle oil and tossed with parmesan cheese. The Mockingbird Bistro provided a garlic aioli (kind of like a garlic mayonnaise, to the uninitiated) for dipping these little gourmet fries. Wow that was so good! Pomme frites cooked in truffle oil dipped in garlic aoili....absolutely delicious and a perfect food-dip pairing. Needless to say this combination is highly recommended!

K bye bye

No comments: